A BRIEF HISTORY OF LIBERTY LODGE NO. 419, A.M. & F.M.
Liberty Lodge traces it's history from June 13,1887 when the opening meeting was held under the name of Point Edward Lodge No. 419. The lodge met in Point Edward Ontario with many of the members being railroad men.
On November 8,1888, the name was changed to Bismarck Lodge. While the lodge fourished for the next few years, signs of weakness crept in as a result of the railyards and the rail tunnel and many of the lodge members being located to Sarnia. Eventually, in 1911, Bismarck Lodge moved to the Barr building at 152 Front St. where Victoria and Tuscan Lodges already met.
Due to perceptions relating to World War 1, exception taken to the name Bismarck led to the decision to change the lodge name to Liberty. The first meeting as Liberty Lodge No. 419 was held on Oct.10, 1919.
Shortly afterward, the Sarnia lodges jointly purchased a property at the corner of Victoria and Lochiel Streets. After major renovations, the lodge room, located on the third floor above Charman Feeds, was officially dedicated by Grand Lodge on January 26, 1921. This was home for the Sarnia lodges for the next 60 years until the building was demolished in 1981 to make way for Bayside Mall, Sarnia's first downtown shopping mall.
During 1980, Sarnia Masonic Hall Ltd., purchased the Bethel Pentecostal Church at 245 Essex St. and with major renovations, the building became the home of 5 Masonic lodges and several concordant organizations. Liberty Lodge held their first meeting in these new facilities on Feb.16, 1981. The lodge building was dedicated on April 11, 1981 in a ceremony directed by the Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Canada.
At the Regular Meeting held on Feb.15, 2010 a request from St. Paul Lodge No. 601 to amalgamate by joining with Liberty Lodge was accepted. A Ceremony of Amalgamation led by officers of the Grand Lodge of Canada was held on Sept. 20, 2010. Immediately following the Ceremony, a new slate of officers from members of both the lodges was invested.
The first Regular Meeting of the new Liberty Lodge was held on Oct. 18, 2010. A celebration to mark the 125th Anniversary of the Lodge was held on October 27, 2010 at the Dante Club with about 200 in attendance.
Liberty Lodge was granted status as a Cornerstone Lodge at the Grand Lodge proceedings in Toronto in July, 2013.
Regular Meetings are held the 3rd Monday of each month at 7:30 p.m. except July and August.
W.M. W. Bro. Cameron Veinot
S.W. W. Bro. Bill Welsh
J.W. Bro. David McShane
S.D. Bro. Adam Allen
J.D. Bro. Brian Harris